John has successfully tried cases in all levels of trial courts and has successfully handled appeals before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, and the Georgia Court of Appeals. He regularly represents individuals in serious personal injury and wrongful death matters throughout Georgia. John also serves as the Solicitor-General for the City of Springfield, Georgia.
A native Georgian, John earned his undergraduate and law degrees from The University of Georgia. During law school, John clerked for Judge Anne E. Barnes of the Georgia Court of Appeals. While at The University of Georgia, he was selected for membership into the Gridiron Secret Society.
John serves as a member of the State Bar of Georgia’s Board of Governors as a representative for the Eastern Judicial Circuit. He also serves as a Trustee of the Georgia Legal History Foundation. In 2018, John was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia to serve on the Federal Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel. He has also been a Special Invitee to the Southern District’s Court Advisory Committee meeting.
Every year since 2012, John has been selected as one of Georgia’s “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” by Atlanta Magazine. He has also been included in Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite, honored by Best Lawyers in America, and selected as Top 40 Under 40 by The National Trial Lawyer. In addition to his law practice, John is active in civic affairs. He serves on several local boards and is a 2012-2013 graduate of Leadership Savannah.
john manly: honors & publications
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, Board of Governors (2015 – present)
- State Bar of Georgia Formal Advisory Board (2015 – 2016)
- Georgia State Board of Court Reporting (2016 – 2017)
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Savannah Bar Association Member
- Savannah Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Georgia Legal History Foundation, Trustee (2012-present)
- Maritime Law Association